Sep 10, 2007

Plato and a Platypus





Finished reading Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes this week. Not a difficult read at all, and so I would recommend it. It is not for someone who wishes to deeply understand philosophical concepts and their history, but it does go over a number of basics. I guess my main recommendation is it is entertaining. The jokes are not rip-roaringly funny, but I chuckled here and there.

On the negative side, I would have wished the philosophy part had been a bit more extensive and a been a bit more contemporary. I was also shocked that Karl Marx wasn't really touched on, even though the book did talk about political philosophy. I even expected a mention of post-modernism and deconstruction, and, perhaps, mention Derrida.

Give it a go.

No comments: