Sep 6, 2007

Bike Spill #1

So, I've had my bike for about a week, trying to do more cardio exercise. I have been loving it. When I first moved to LA, I had a bike, but let it go after a while. Started driving everywhere. Where we live now is perfect for bike riding. To get to work is 12 kilometers and takes about an hour. There are hills both directions so I get a pretty decent work out. I can get to Alhambra or Downtown in about 30 minutes. Going past buildings at a slower rate, you discover tons of new and interesting places. Cute shops or ethnic restaurants. It's been fantastic.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I went down just 5 minutes away from the house. I was going around a parked car and as I went by it I saw a huge pavement buckle right in front of me. There was little I could do. I tried slowing down, but perhaps I slammed on breaks. Not really sure, just know I went flying through the air and landed underneath the bike. Dazed and sore, blood but not sure from where. A driver stopped and gave me a towel and some water and I began cleaning my face where I thought most of the blood was coming from. My chin, and perhaps, my left cheek. I was feeling faint, and my vision was clouded, all I could sense was sunlight and pain. I tried to lift my backpack with my right arm, but didn't have the strength, or couldn't due to the ache.

I was right in front of the Debs Park Audobon Center and a bike rider came by, someone who worked at the Audobon. I was still dazed and he went up to the center and had a friend drive back down for me. He took my bike back to the center and his friend drove me home. By this time, I was aware that I could bend my arm but not use it in any normal way. I wasn't sure if I had strained it or not. I called Clay and he said he'd meet me at home.

A few minutes later, he was driving me to Huntington Hospital where they did about seven x-rays. The arm was fractured, but not severely. No splint, no cast, just a sling, and perhaps, no exertion on it for a week or two. It will be swollen for awhile, too. Just need to try extending it frequently so it doesn't lock up. A few scrapes and definitely a black eye and bruised chin, a road rash on the left arm and banged up knees.

But, over all I'm kind of pleased. I was out there doing something I enjoyed. My first sport's injury since I broke my left arm riding a tricycle off the front porch when I was five. I really do want to get back on the bike as soon as possble.

2 comments:

peacelovelunges said...

This sucks, but I am glad it's not a compound fracture, and even more glad you are ALIVE!! (the most important part). On the AIDSRide they drill "SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY" into your head you are a little sick of hearing it after a while, but it's worth it. So I'll play the "dad" role and just say again: "careful out there!"

Squirrel Girl said...

So glad you're okay, only a bit banged up and not tire food. How great is it that so many people offered to help you? Gives some hope for our society.... Take care, oh most intrepid cyclist!