Jan 4, 2010

Jackson Pollock - Guggenheim Application (1947)




Jackson Pollock, Mural, 1943
Oil on canvas, 8 feet 1.25 inches x 19 feet 10 inches
University of lowa Museum of Art



I was wondering if Pollock was name dropping in his application...

"I intend to paint large movable pictures which will function between the easel and mural. I have set a precedent in this genre in a large painting for Miss Peggy Guggenheim which was installed in her house and was later shown in the "Large-Scale Paintings" show at the Museum of Modern Art. It is at present on loan at Yale University.

I believe the easel picture to be a dying form, and the tendency of modern feeling is towards the wall picture or mural. I believe the time is not yet ripe for a full transition from easel to mural. The pictures I contemplate painting would constitute a halfway state, and an attempt to point out the direction of the future, without arriving there completely."

Alas, that year Pollock did not receive the Guggenheim Fellowship.


No comments: